Hip Mountain Mama Blog
Your skin is your largest organ absorbing everything it comes into contact with. Think about all of the products you put on your skin every day. Sunscreen, moisturizer, cleanser, soap, make up, chap stick, lotion, etc! Every single ingredient in every single product you use is absorbed into your body, and that really adds up over time. According to the Environmental Working Group, almost 90 percent of the 10,500 cosmetics and skin care ingredients known to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration have not been evaluated for safety by the Cosmetic Ingredient Review, the FDA, or any other publicly accountable institution. With this in mind, wouldn't it make sense to use products with natural ingredients as much as possible? Yes it would! What can you do to make your beauty routine more natural?
1. Use less! Do you really need all of the products you are using every day?
2. Replace products that have a long list of ingredients you can't pronounce with products that have fewer ingredients with familiar names.
3. Use oil instead of lotion. You can replace a bottle of lotion with over 20 ingredients with a bottle of jojoba oil...which is 1 ingredient and does an amazing job.
4. Buy from small businesses who have your health in mind. Most large companies could care less whether their products are healthy or not...their bottom line is profit. Small businesses who make or sell natural skin care products do it because we are passionate about natural health and we want to spread the message.
5. Do your research. Read labels and research what each ingredient actually is. Just because it's on the shelf at the grocery store, does not mean it is safe for you to use on a continuous basis!
I had never been a gal who committed to her facial creams. I would buy whatever I could find that was natural and on sale. For this reason I hopped around from product to product and sadly had never found something worth sticking with. All of this changed when I discovered Mad Hippie products [...]