Hip Mountain Mama Blog
Going to see live music is the best. Getting a group of our friends all excited to share in the concert experience is just so much fun. The only thing that makes seeing a great live band even better is if you are in an amazing outdoor music venue. Colorado is known for it's amazing natural beauty. Mix your favorite band with an awesome outdoor setting and a totally cool vibe and you can't go wrong. We've seen jam bands, bluegrass bands, funk bands, old classics and all kinds of music across Colorado over the last 20 years and through that experience we offer up these 5 top Colorado music venues.
1. Red Rocks - Duh. This one is easy. Red Rocks Amphitheater is a classic. The amazing outdoor music venue is situated between two huge rocks making a natural amphitheater that overlooks the city of Denver. With a capacity of nearly 10,000 Red Rocks hosts big name bands in a high energy atmosphere. Red Rocks has hosted The Beatles, The Grateful Dead, U2, Phish, Widespread Panic, The Allman Brothers Band and so many more.
This summer catch 3 nights of Widespread Panic, Neil Young, The Dirty Heads, Slightly Stoopid, Old Crow Medicine Show, The Devil Makes Three, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Umphrey's McGee, The Avett Brothers, String Cheese Incident, My Morning Jacket, Micheal Franti, Alabama Shakes, Yonder Mountain String Band and a ton more. Check out the full listing and plan your Red Rocks concert experience now: Red Rocks Schedule.
2. Mishawaka - Oh yeah, Mishawaka is quite a treat. Located 14 miles up the Poudre Canyon outside of Fort Collins, CO. 'The Mish' stage literally sits on the banks of the river in a beautiful canyon. Mountain views, a raging river and a totally chill vibe makes this smaller venue a must see. You won't be disappointed in the schedule for such a small venue. This summer you can catch Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Xavier Rudd, Hayes Carll, Hot Buttered Rum, Robert Randolph, Col. Bruce Hampton, David Grisman and many more.
Photo by Brian Omura
3. Telluride Town Park - Are you kidding me, this place is just beautiful and filled with so much history including over 40 years of the world famous Telluride Bluegrass Festival. Beyond bluegrass we suggest you check out the Blues & Brews Festival and The Ride Festival. All of these festivals feature world class music, onsite camping and a mountain background that you'll never forget.
4. State Bridge - Here's another great option for a Colorado outdoor riverside venue. Located in Bond Colorado, State Bridge offers up a unique outdoor music venue worth the drive. This summer you can catch Joe Russo's Almost Dead, Keller & the Keels, David Grisman and more. Check the full concert schedule here: State Bridge Schedule.
5. Planet Bluegrass Ranch - This amazing festival venue is located in Lyons, CO where the river literally runs through the venue. On hot days you can listen to the live music while splashing around in the river. This venue is perfect for families and children. The Planet Bluegrass Ranch will host the 43rd Annual Rockygrass Festival and the Folks Fest along with some smaller concerts inside the Wildflower Pavilion.
These 5 Colorado outdoor music venues will blow your mind so pick out a hippie skirt, pack some sunscreen and get ready for a great time. Each one of these Colorado venues are amazing in their own way so get out these and see some shows.